Saturday, December 18, 2010

If I was Ursa Major

Background

Mikhail Ursus is a mutant who can transform into a superhumanly powerful bear-like creature. He has been one of Russia's primary superheroes for decades. He was trained from an early age to be in that role which was also the cover for an evil scientist to drain powers from Russian mutants. Through out his long career he has been both an ally and an adversary to a number superheroes depending whether or not said superhero comes into conflict with his role as protector of his country.

Description

Mikhail is a generously muscled, 6' 3" tall man with brown eyes and severely cut brown hair. His super suit is essentially a military uniform. In his bear form he is a 7' 5" tall anthropomorphic Siberian bear, a type of large brown bear including the big teeth and claws.

Powers

Mikhail can transform into a large man/bear. All of his physical attributes are enhanced in this from to at least peak human performance. His running speed and sense of smell are at least equal to a large brown bear. This means he can run at least 35 miles per hour and he can track a target by sense of smell even after it has experienced erosion from factors like the weather. He has other bear-like enhanced senses but I can't find any real description of them.

The primary thrust of the forms power is its super strength. In his bear form he can lift 15 tons from the ground up over his head at arms length. He can perform at his peak for several hours before fatigue starts to impair him. While not invulnerable he can survive falls from several stories without injury or blows from opponents with superhuman strength with little to no injury. He can survive fighting the incredible Hulk in hand to hand combat. He can't beat him but he can walk away from the fight. He can also fight despite having seemingly lethal wounds as when he helped the space knight Rom fight off a Dire Wraith invasion of the soviet union. It is safe to say that he is far stronger and more durable than a similarly sized bear.

The transformation takes about 10 seconds to perform and seems to be a painless process. While transformed he retains his intelligence and personality as well as his ability to speak. If he stays in his bear form for several hours consecutively he becomes more feral and his intelligence diminishes. However the only thing I've seen depicted in terms of that is that he is quicker to anger and has less patience with people but I haven't seen him act any less intelligent or human. It's not known how long he can retain his bear form for but it is at least several hours since he can function at peak capacity for that long before starting to fatigue.

If I Was Ursa Major

This is one of those power sets that I can really have fun with. Super senses and physical attributes all packaged in a huge bear-like body. Just the raw size alone is fun. I'd imagine that being7' 5" is a pain in the ass most of the time. Nothing is designed for you so you have to spend all kinds of money on custom products. If you can be that whenever you want that would be cool. As a short person I'd be thrilled just to be able to reach into the upper cupboards without having to get on the tips of my toes or have to climb a chair to get something. 900 plus pounds is a lot of weight to throw around. Demolition gets easy as well as hauling heavy loads. Not to mention breaking through a line of people trying to stop you from making a touchdown or imagine a scrummage with a giant in it.

I know I would play rough sports in bear form but only with people I know. It wouldn't be something I would do in the general public but I would let the people who are close to me in on the fact that I could transform like that. I'd do all the customary super strength stuff like move furniture, do construction, demolish things and so forth. Because of the super senses I'd take up hunting or I should say that I would be a tracker for my family members and friends who go hunting and fishing. I can see moose hunting season already. "Dan I chased my moose into the swamp. Can you help me get it out?" Then I'd go into the swamp and haul the huge animal out carrying it out over my shoulder. Hell I may even take an opportunity to see if I can chase down a deer or a moose and kill it with my own bare paws.

Now I've noticed that Mikhail himself seems to be an exhibitionist. I say that because despite having access to costumes that can change with him he prefers to strip out of his clothes and be naked in his bear form. I have several comic books where he appears and the artists are forever trying to find creative ways of drawing him naked without actually showing anything. Of course I have no access to a costume that can change with me and the power doesn't compensate for it so I would have to go naked every time I'd transform. I could get some clothes made to fit the bear form or at least get something made that I can keep with me in bear form to hold my clothes without getting in the way of my ursine activities. Maybe a large pouch/belt or back pack.

I would make money by filming a series of movies about a mutant bear monster that attacks a small town. The production cost would be cheap since I wouldn't have to pay as much for special effects and yet it would still look so realistic. Maybe it would be an ongoing television series. I'm not sure. It would depend how things work out. It could either be a pilot for a series or just a movie.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment