Friday, January 21, 2011

If I Was Beast Boy

Background

Garfield Logan contracted Sakutia (a fictional illness in the DC Universe that turns people green and allows them to change shape up until it kills them within 48 hours). He was given a cure that made him green permanently and permitted him to retain his shape changing powers. He went on to be a member of the Doom Patrol and later the Teen Titans.

Description

Gar is slim, average height, short haired young man who is completely green including his hair and eyes not just his skin color. The green coloring follows him even in his animal forms.

Powers

Beast Boy can transform into any animal he is aware of (including species from other planets) while retaining his intelligence and personality as well as the ability to speak. He can maintain the forms indefinitely or even switch multiple times in a short period of time without suffering fatigue or strain. The transformation take only a few seconds to accomplish. His animal forms are always the same green as his human form. When transforming into tiny animals like insects or barnacles he can become only one or have multiple forms such as a swarm of bees. Under certain circumstances (that I have no clue about) he can transform into a hybrid creature with the abilities of all the animal he can turn into rolled into one.

If I Was Beast Boy

With the ability to become any animal there is the obvious choice of exploration. With potentially the whole animal kingdom to choose from and a little bit of courage almost nowhere in the world is off limits. Of course you have the ultimate inside track for animal research or husbandry. If you can walk a mile in any one's shoes you go a long way to understanding them. I may for a fee offer my services for hire. I might allow people to poke and prod me in the name of research but only so far. I would also help by imitating actual animals in their habitat and then report it back furthering the understanding of animals that way.

As for myself I might just go and live in the woods or up a mountain or on a remote island or something like that. I would just live off the land using my animal abilities to survive but I know that would only last so long then I'd have to return to see my fellow humans.

I know if nothing else I would revel in being able to take different forms with different strengths and weaknesses. I know I would then dispense "wisdom" based on what I learned spending time as those animals. I may do something like fly all day as a soaring bird and see where that takes me in terms of both geography and philosophy. I would develop a fighting style based on quickly changing from one animal to another. I would make sure that I had the scent of everyone I know memorized in case I had to track them.

I know that I would also use my ability to transform into animals to make people feel better. Who wouldn't want to ride on a horse that you can actually talk to or cuddle up to a grizzly bear? I think having an animal that can talk around would be therapeutic.

There are a number of animal forms that I would favor for various reasons:

Falcon and Mountain Lion: They're my "totem animals" so it would seem rude not to take their forms from time to time. Falcons especially peregrine falcons fly really fast and can kill and catch their prey in the same attack. Mountain lions are fierce predators with amazing mobility and ferocity. They can scare of a bear if they are fighting over the same carcass.

Grizzly Bear: Because their a huge land predators d'uh. Also chicks dig big furry animals but mostly because they're big and intimidating.

Dolphin: 'Cause I like to swim and they seem really agile in the water as well as when they jump out of the water. Plus offensive sonar. That kicks ass. Also water bubble rings. Dolphins like to make rings out of water bubbles as a game.

Bald Eagle: For soaring purposes. They aren't the record holders for soaring but they look cool and with their visual capacity I could enjoy a great birds eye view of my world while on a lazy sky cruise.

Monkey: Not sure what species of monkey but it would be great to have that kind of climbing ability.

Tyrannosaurus Rex: Because I would so love the size and scariness of it. Mind you I might transform into a similarly large allosaur that has longer arms.

Woolly Mammoth: Because it gets cold where I live and I think it would be cool to to be able to give walking tours of where I live while doing it as a very large land based creature. People could ride on my back as I tell them about the woods we're walking through.

I will say that as I'm writing this I realize I would go on a world tour familiarizing myself with more species of animals currently existing and extinct.

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment