Thursday, May 23, 2013

If I Was affected by the Storm Part 2

Background

The Storm was an event that occurred in the Misfits series in Wertham a section of an unnamed British city. The Storm bestowed “super powers” on individuals who were near the storms lightning strikes. Nothing else is ever stated about the Storm after it occurs.

Description

The Storm consisted of sinister dark clouds, giant hail instead of rain and simultaneous lightning strikes.

Powers

As stated above the Storm gives a subject who is either struck by it's lightning or are near the lightning when it strikes some kind of “super power” based on the based on the characters personalities, deepest desires or what they were thinking at the time of the Storm.

If I was affected by the Storm

For this second part I'm going to write about what would happen if I was affected by the Storm based on what I would have been thinking at the time or wished. To be present for the Storm I would have to fly across the Atlantic ocean and would most likely be doing that for some kind of vacation. Consequently the most likely things on my mind at the time would be what alternate ways I could have to get back home, “My IBS is acting up, so where's the nearest washroom?” or I'd be wishing I was in better shape to impress the local women. Of the three thoughts my most likely one would be the second. The anxiety of flying and knowing I would have to fly back would most likely exacerbate my irritable bowel syndrome. Based on that and my desire to go along with the nature of the Misfits series I would say the power I would manifest is the power to teleport to the nearest trusted and vacant washroom and back.

The reason for the power manifesting this way is that I.B.S. is partly an anxiety driven condition. Usually having a quick way to relieve yourself gets rid of the I.B.S. attack. With bowel related illnesses you quickly learn to use just about any washroom despite your misgivings but it is always preferable to have access to a trusted and vacant washroom. The “consequences” of a bowel illnesse's attack can be unpleasant for others who may be around you but in the least it's embarrassing to you. Another aspect is that you easily get tired of how often the condition can take you from having fun away from home when it acts up. So it makes sense to be able to teleport to a washroom and back so you can go back to what you were doing when you had to leave. Also knowing that you can instantly be where you need to be to take care of your condition reduces the anxiety significantly and consequently reduces the amount of attacks you actually suffer. So on a personal level while this is not the most glamorous power it is a great gift for people who have intestinal diseases.

Now for my use of the power I would travel more. I've always been a wanderer by nature. It has always been nothing for me to take off for hours wandering aimlessly just for the sheer thrill of wandering. Since having I.B.S. I don't wander as much anymore for fear of getting caught somewhere where I can't deal with an I.B.S. attack should one arise. An attack of an intestinal illness can be a fairly traumatic event if your caught out in the middle of nowhere. It can even be traumatic under ideal conditions.

Where I had a say on the matter I would equip trusted washrooms with things I might use when I'm out or during emergencies like first aid kits, extra clothing and emergency rations. I might even keep weapons there in case I have to defend myself or someone else. I wouldn't be able to bring others with me because at the time of the Storm if I was having an I.B.S. attack the last thing on my mind would be having others with me. Therefore I would have to teleport with a weapon or whatever I thought I needed to fix the situation. I can already see teleporting into my washroom, pushing a button and the wall opens up and a small arsenal appears. I would think that I could leave the washroom once I teleported into it but I would expect that I would have to return to the same washroom to return to the area I teleported from in the first place.

With that in mind I would build myself a large bathroom/base of operations with a number of storage spaces as well as communications devices like a phone and a computer with internet access. Maybe a with a big screen T.V. to watch the news on. The room would be loaded with supplies I can access if I need to. I'm not saying I would become a superhero and have bathroom motif equipment. I'm just saying I'd make myself a nice bathroom worth teleporting to with some extra features in case I run into trouble or have to help people.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment