Monday, April 22, 2013

If I Was affected by the Storm Part 1

I've now watched all the episodes of the first three seasons on the British television series “Misfits” including the “mini episode” “Vegas Baby”. The series is interesting as the characters and their not necessarily orthodox “powers” are based on the characters personalities or deepest desires or what they were thinking at the time of the storm. So I've decided to do a three part version of how I would have been affected by the storm.

Background

The Storm was an event that occurred in the Misfits series in Wertham a section of an unnamed British city. The Storm bestowed “super powers” on individuals who were near the storms lightning strikes. Nothing else is ever stated about the Storm after it occurs.

Description

The Storm consisted of sinister dark clouds, giant hail instead of rain and simultaneous lightning strikes.

Powers

As stated above the Storm gives a subject who is either struck by it's lightning or are near the lightning when it strikes some kind of “super power” based on the based on the characters' personalities, deepest desires or what they were thinking at the time of the Storm.

If I was affected by the Storm

For this first part I'm going to write about what would happen if I suffered the fate of the “proper adults” affected by the storm. These adults usually suffer some form of negative change based on their emotional preoccupation at the time of the storm. The “Misfits” first case worker developed a psychotic rage that led him to kill one of his “charges” and to attempt to kill the others. The father of the girl Simon lost his virginity to would undergo murderous rages if he thought someone was “wronging” his daughter. Nathan's Mother's boyfriend would act like his childhood pet at night. He was thinking of him while the Storm was going on. Every night he would strip naked and explore the city like a dog does.

For me I like to help people and see them achieve their full potential. I usually do that by using what I know about the person to get them to learn and grow. However the darker side of it is that I can be “too amused” by using what I know about a person to manipulate them to see just how much power I can have over them. This usually takes the form of trading insults and other forms of “wit to wit combat” but not always. So if I was affected by the Storm as a “proper” adult (which I am a far cry from being) the likelihood would be that I would become a compulsive mind game player to the point of criminal actions. Getting people to commit crimes or ruin their own lives via my “well meaning advice” that they don't know I would also be giving to others that would counter the advice I gave them. You know sort of like in every tale of the “Devil”. He “doesn't do”. He gets you to do it. That would be me. When I saw someone worth manipulating my eyes would momentarily glow red and I would go about my work.

My most common “hustle” would be to get people to get me money. When I feel I've gotten all I can get I would turn the people against each other. Because information gathering is a big part of how I operate, I would be using the money I've been getting people to acquire for me to buy more information gathering powers. Then I would set myself up as an “oracle” expanding my hustle to a higher level. Possibly becoming a corporate “seer” or even using my influence on politicians. I'd be an actual “Bondsian” super villain.

The end game of my manipulations would be similar to the Marvel Comics' villain Apocalypse. I would engage in my manipulations until I believed the species had proved itself strong enough to survive without them. After (just in case I do better than I expect) that I would just manipulate people for my own benefit until I died or was killed. Given that it's Misfits I would probably end up getting killed because I tried to get them to kill one of their own in case they got too close to figuring out that I was using them.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment