Thursday, September 23, 2010

If I had the Greatest American Hero's Super Suit

I'm of course talking about the the famous "magic jammies" given to Ralph Hinkley by altruistic aliens who like to make sure Earth and possibly other planets have a protector.

Background

The suit is a piece of alien technology made by a species far more advanced that humankind whose purposes is to grant its wearer super powers in order to save mankind from itself. It is either handed down directly to the chosen protector such as with Ralph Hinkley or from protector to protector as in the case of Ralph Hinkley to Holley Hathaway.

Description

Despite Ralph Hinkley's insistence that the green aliens only make the suit in one style the suit's appearance has changed from when he wore it to when Holley Hathaway wore it. When Ralph had it, it was red from tunic length shirt to boot with silver or black trim on its cuffs and collar as well as the boots' trimmings around its rim and a second false rim along the top of the foot and heel. Where as Holley's suit is strictly red from unitard to boot without any trimming. Either version comes with a symbol on its chest in red that resembles the Chinese character for "center" or alternately a stylized pair of scissors on a white field defined by a circular black outline. In either versions the belt is silver with silver trim and the same symbol on the buckle as on the chest only colored in silver and black instead.

For either of them the cape is black with red trim. They differ only in their length. Ralph's was short descending to his posterior and Holley's was longer descending to the back of her knees.

Powers

The full extent of the suit's powers are unknown since Ralph lost the instruction book when he first received the suit and lost a second copy of it after trying the first power they looked up in it. I should say that the instruction book seems to be more than just a book. It was a computer that acted as a secondary control mechanism for the suit as well.

The following is the known list of powers granted by the suit: super strength (he saved a space shuttle, they weigh over one hundred tons), super speed (not quite sure what his top speed is), "Invulnerability" (he developed amnesia colliding with a train carrying a radioactive payload so he's not truly invulnerable but was otherwise unharmed), flight (greater than M.A.C.H. 2 since he was able to catch up to and catch missiles fired at a jet carrying his future wife), "Holographic Vision" (a catch all power that permits him to see through time and space for such things as precognition and remote viewing which works especially well when he has something to get "vibes" off of), invisibility, telekinesis, pyrokinesis (at least he can cause things to catch fire), it permits him to perceive and pass through dimensional portals but doesn't seem to be able to generate them himself, life-support for hostile environments that would otherwise be lethal, shrinking (with help of the book, allegedly can be used on a target other than the wearer), voice amplification, communicate with animals, mind control (after exposure to high amount of radiation), super breadth (he has sucked up toxic gasses from a room once).

If I had the Greatest American Hero's Super Suit

If I had the super suit I'd play superhero no ifs ands or buts about it. I'd already have a super style costume and superhero style mission so why not. The green aliens don't allow you to keep it if you aren't doing any good but they are very good at giving you second chances at keeping the suit if you make mistakes. I'd also study that instruction manual backwards and forwards before anything else so I had a good idea of how to use the suit properly then on top of that I'd train with it regularly to make sure controlling the suit and it's powers are second nature to me.

Since the aliens require that the suit user also have an adviser to help him or her decide how to use the suit properly I'd make sure to pair up with a former international criminal seeking to redeem him or herself. They could give me the best insights into how the criminal mind works and give me a better idea of how everything is connected in the world and who the major players are. With a weapon as powerful as the suit you don't want to be making errors on who you're stopping or inadvertently help the wrong people. Like I said in the Thor entry I'm not above taking out those who think the lives of others are theirs to sacrifice to fulfill their greedy agendas. I just like to make sure I have the right people first.

I would mainly use the super suit to intervene on the behalf of civilians during wars and to prevent man made disasters. As part of that I would go on a daily patrol which would consist of some flights off planet to see if I have to protect the Earth from extraterrestrial threats including not only aliens but asteroids and other cosmic debris as well.

I'd make sure to keep myself in top shape. It wouldn't do for me to drop dead of a heart attack while performing my heroics. Also if I'm going to wear such a tight fitting body suit I'd might as well look good in it. Of course saying that I'd do most of my heroic work invisible and most likely by flying into range and using a combination of telekinesis and the holographic vision powers to manipulate the scene as subtly as possible so no one would know I was manipulating the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment