Sunday, March 3, 2013

If I had Doctor Spectrum's Power Prism

Background

The Power Prism is an alien crystal artifact used by Joseph “Joe” Ledger an American astronaut from an alternate reality in Marvel Comics. While in space he encountered and rescued a version one of that reality's “super skrulls”. In gratitude the skrull now known as Skymax gave it to him. Joe would adopt the costumed identity of Doctor Spectrum and become a member of the superhero the Squadron Supreme along with Skymax. The prism was eventually shattered by the Black Archer and became embedded in Joe's body. For purposes of this blog we will be dealing with the power prism pre-shattering.

Description

The Power Prism resembles a palm sized, cut, clear gem.

Powers

The power prism is essentially Marvel Comics answer to Green Lantern's power ring but nowhere near as powerful and it is accompanied by fluctuating color light instead of just green. However like the power ring the user's will power and imagination does effect the over all use and effectiveness of the prism (or at least marveldirectory.com would have you believe that). Also like a power ring the prism can be commanded at a distance and seems to only obey one wielder at a time.

The prism seems to have been created if for nothing else to manipulate gravity and electromagnetic energy (including light of course). Its possessor can use it to fly even in excess of the speed of sound in and out of atmosphere as well as providing appropriate protection to its wielder at the same time so the flight would not adversely affect them. They can use it to project energy blasts of heat, light and/or concussive force and possibly other forms. It can be used to create “solid light” constructs that respond to its wielder's will and defy gravity. Doctor Spectrum has created a construct similar to a barge large enough to carry stacks of hundreds of food crates to various cities in the United States in the course of a day without showing any difficulty in doing it. With some effort the constructs were strong enough to contain the nuclear powers of Doctor Spectrum's deceased teammate Nuke. The constructs can be made into objects as complex as a luxurious bed including blankets, sheets and pillows comfortable enough to sleep on for an extended period of time.

Aside from the uses in the first paragraph the prism can be used as a communication tool including communicating along conventional radio frequencies but he has also used it to “summon” the rest of the Squadron to their satellite base by what seems to be telepathy.
The prism has also been used to perform non-energy manipulating feats such as erasing the memories and removing the powers of the super intelligent mutant known as Brain Child. It has been used to permit its possessor to pass through solid barriers as though they were intangible and has been used to control mechanical devices.

I haven't seen all the ways that Doctor Spectrum has used the prism I would imagine given the above listed uses of it and the fact that it is meant to be a power ring equivalent I would guess that the prism is capable of doing almost anything it can generate the power to do and that its wielder understands how to accomplish.

If I had the Power Prism

I'd practise with the prism daily to make sure I cement my control over it. Part of my practise would be carving myself a home/H.Q. in a mountain with its power. It would also include using it to mount itself in a wand, similar to how a Jedi makes his or her light sabre through use of ingenuity and force related discipline. Maybe make it my own “sonic screw driver” or maybe an imitation of the original Starman's (Ted Knight) Cosmic Control Rod. Regardless it would be a wand-like device. I would also use the same technique to create a mock suit of “power armor” should I be required to engage in serious combat. I mean the Earth-31916 power prism was a propulsion device tied into the ship that brought that reality's Hyperion to Earth. So why can't it power a suit of armor?

One of the reasons for building a home/headquarters in a mountain is that it would help me prepare for my plan to use the prism primarily in the mining industry. I would use it more often for searching for mineral deposits but I would also use it for actual mining. Cutting out rock faces and moving the materials up to the processing machines doing it in a way far less dangerous than using explosives and if there was a problem I could get myself out of there. If nothing else I would just make myself intangible and fly out. I mean I could pull other people out the same way à la Alan Scott Green Lantern. Just get them in a “power bubble” and float up them through the ground.

An other way I would use it is to move supplies and equipment that is often shipped by truck often on dangerous routes like ice roads and unstable cliff sides. I would be careful to at least not tip my hand by acting like I could only use the prism as a sensor device and have a vehicle shell that I would move around using “light constructs” hidden inside them. Maybe I would just make vehicle shaped light constructs to transport the supplies.

When I think of it I might just build myself a “ship” that I can “attune” the prism to. This way I could cover my use of the prism by saying they are features built into the ship. Then I could hire the ship out for exploration and research and of course transport.

Also I couldn't deny it. I would be very tempted to play superhero. I'd have more than enough power to do it. I'd probably wear the fore mentioned “power armor” and use that as my cover. Not sure where I'd spend most of my time patrolling though. The world is a big place and there is always something going on somewhere.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment