Wednesday, June 30, 2010

If I was Darkoth the Death Demon

Background

Desmond Pitt was a military test pilot alongside Benjamin Grimm A.K.A. the Thing as well a good friend of his. He eventually took it upon himself to infiltrate Dr. Doom's agents who were infiltrating NASA. When his wife died he became careless and was found out. A show was made of executing him but instead of killing him Dr. Doom altered him through robotic and chemical means to resemble a purple demon that legend said was terrifying the country side. To finish the illusion Dr. Doom wiped (suppressed?) Desmond's memories and made him believe he was the demon. He later recovered his memories and tried to redeem himself. Usually he would die and some evil villain would resurrect him and he would ultimately ruin their plans by not being a good slave.

Powers and Paraphernalia

Darkoth is a cyborg/mutate that has superhuman strength, stamina, durability, agility, speed and reflexes. He can lift fifty tons from the ground up over his head at arms length. He can exert himself up to twenty four hours before he starts getting tired. He can survive re-entry or heavy artillery without harm among other forms of severe damage such as the coldness of outer space. His agility and his reflexes are "greater than the finest human athlete" which is wikia's standard description of anyone with super human attributes who exact level are ambiguous. He's stated as being able to run at up to sixty miles per hour but I would think with his phenomenal strength he could run faster than that.

Aside from just having an enhanced body he possesses a number of added "features" to make him appear demonic. He has metal talons that like his skeleton are made of Promethium (an enchanted steel-like metal originating from the magical dimension known as "Otherplace") that can tear through substances as durable as the Thing's rocky skin and can be equipped with poison that renders its victim unconscious. He has fangs as well as a reptilian tail that not only serves to enhance his balance (as tails are want to do) it is also a usable bludgeoning weapon or for constricting a victim. His most notable "demonic" alteration is his "Fire Horns" which are actually antennas that can absorb mental energy from an opponent if they are within fifty feet of him. When they are fully charged he can use this energy to project a beam that can be used to produce four different effects: 1) heat that can melt several tons of metal in seconds; 2) project enough kinetic force to knock the Thing who weights five hundred pounds back several yards (I would think it could probably do more than that); 3) cause temporary insanity; 4) cause fatigue in a target. He only uses his "horns" as a last resort so it's speculated that they are costly to use energy-wise but I speculate that it either takes a long time to charge them or he just prefers hand to hand combat to long range energy projection.

When the Alchemist Diablo used him as a pawn he used magical potions to increase his powers giving him the ability to become intangible for limited periods of time permitting him to pass through solid objects as well as causing him to grow a pair or bat-like wings on his ankles reminiscent of the feathery wings that the Submariner A.K.A. Prince Namor possesses on his ankles that permit him to fly. It is said that this gives him limited flight powers. I'm not sure what that means but he used them to fly to a military base instead of running there. So that combined with the idea that they are reminiscent of Namor's wings I'm going to speculate that he could fly at least as well as Namor was originally stated to be able to. Meaning he could fly at up forty miles per hour for up to an hour. If I'm right then like Namor he could also fly carrying up to two tons of weight with him but at a reduced speed and for shorter periods of time.

Finally When the demon Mephisto used him as a pawn he developed the ability to shape change. More specifically the ability to alter his body permitting him to do things like grow tentacles or grow a mouth in his chest that he used to eat the demon S'ym. I never read the story where he developed the ability but I assume he couldn't use the ability to change his coloring or to make himself appear as he did before he was transformed. Frankly I would just as soon ignore this aspect of his continuity. Although like I said I've never read the story where it happened it seems like a classic example of a writer having a very bad idea of what to do with an intriguing but obscure character. Also I would speculate that since Thor purified him of Mephisto's dark powers one would assume that he would have lost the power that was acquired as a consequence of being exposed to said dark powers.

So if I had Darkoth's powers and assuming also his appearance I would have a lot of time on my hands since I doubt mixing with "normal" society probably wouldn't be an option. So there is the strong possibility that I may function as a "guardian demon". Acting in the shadows to help people who are in need. There is also the possibility that I may visit different war zones and influence the outcomes. When you can either rend, melt or throw tanks and can survive being struck by most conventional military weapons unharmed, war zones are a fun place to play and to make a difference. Plus if a "demon" suddenly showed up during armed conflicts it may cause some otherwise good "Christian" nations to think twice about engaging in conflicts for less than "holy reasons". Hopefully other "religious" countries might feel the same way. However since waging war and being Christian are suppose to be mutually exclusive concepts I won't hold my breadth.

Yep so I guess I would use my appearance as well as my powers to effect change in he world. I'm not sure how well that would work out. I mean I'm sure not everyone would believe I was an actual demon and most people would assume I was just some CGI animation added to news footage as a hoax. It would be a lot of work on my behalf but then when I think about it what else would I have to do? Looking like a purple demon would most likely have cleared my social calendar anyway.

Thanks for reading.

Note: I had to go to a lot of different websites and look through different comic books to get a complete list of Darkoth's powers and history. No one source had the complete picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment