Friday, June 18, 2010

If I was Spider-Man...2099

Yep Spider-Man 2099 as in the year 2099. So he just really goes by Spider-Man. Anyway Miguel O'Hara was a gifted geneticist working for the Alchamax Corporation. He developed his powers when he tried to do a "genetic cleansing" to free himself from the influence of the drug called "Rapture" which bonds itself to the user D.N.A. During the process the CEO of Alchamax tried sabotage the attempt by adding spider D.N.A. to the mix. The result of the sabotage is that Miguel gained "spider powers" instead of becoming a "spider freak". At first his intention was to take down Alchamax for the crimes they were committing which led him to helping other people which basically led him to feeling responsible for helping people in general and hence a superhero was born. I will however add that Alchamax's evil reach was so complete that basically every super villain he fought had some connection to the megacorporation.

Spider-Man 2099 is a lot like the mainstream Spider-Man. He has super strength, agility, stamina, durability, healing, reflexes and speed equivalent to his mainstream counterpart. Beyond that his powers are different. Firstly unlike Spider-Man who uses web shooter that he created, Spider-Man 2099 has spinerettes in his arms that let him shoot webs (real spider's have them in their abdomen). Also instead of a "spider sense" he has super hearing and super sight which not only allows him to see further and with clearer detail both during the day and at night but most notably give his "accelerated" vision which essentially lets him see the world in "slow motion". He climbs and clings to objects by the use of retractable claws which incidentally are handy weapons that can rend most building materials. A power unique to him is that he has fangs that he can use to inject paralytic venom into an opponent. He first discovered the power fighting a more powerful super human. In frustration he decided to bite him with his fangs only to find he paralyzed the guy.

His costume is made from "unstable molecules" essentially a durable material invented by Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four that adopts the properties of the person wearing it. Essentially it was a good explanation for why superhero costumes could survive being used by super humans whose powers should destroy the clothes they're wearing. He actually bought the costume for a Day of the Dead celebration years earlier. In the future the material is commercially available apparently. He bought it so he would have a costume that would survive his "epic" partying. After an encounter with a "Thorite" in the future some people await the return of the Norse god of thunder Thor who was a superhero during the "Heroic Age" of the twentieth century. He was flying by on a small hang glider spreading the word of Thor. They collided and he let Miguel keep some of the material that made up the now broken hang glider. The material apparently expels "anti-gravitons" which in this case lets Spider-Man 2099 glide in the air for short distances. Really handy when falling over opened spaces.

So what would I do if I had Spider-Man 2099's power. Well I'd become a cop. I could chase down criminals easily and when I did catch them I would have ways of subduing them without having to resort to weapons by either holding them with super strength or with webbing or of course with the paralysis venom. If I did resort to my weapon my superior reflexes would permit me to draw first and with superior accuracy mixed with my enhanced agility.

Of course enhanced senses like I said before are great for being a detective. So I could use my enhanced vision and hearing to scrutinize the scene of a crime or even to zero in on a crime being committed far quicker than a normal cop would. I would routinely offer myself in "hostage exchanges" and would go in unarmed without a complaint, having claws means I'm always armed anyway not mention the enhanced attributes. Also super strength and agility means that just about anything is a great improvised weapon.

Aside from being a cop having a thorough over all physical enhancement would of course change my life. I would be a far more physical person. It's not to say that I'm not a physical person at least in the sense that I like to be "hands on" with reality and I love to go exploring. I do go out of my way to climb things as they present themselves. However with super human strength, stamina and agility moving around becomes that much more pleasant not to mention using webbing to get around. The opportunity for exploration increases dramatically. Where I live you have to watch out for wild animals like black bears (the assholes of the bruin world), wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. With Spider-Man 2099's powers they're not as much a concern anymore so exploring isn't as dangerous.

Now I think about it, given my artistic nature I would make a lot of web related works of art. I'm not sure how long it takes for the webbing to dissolve so I would probably take a lot of pictures of my "web work" and sell them as prints.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment