Thursday, June 24, 2010

If I was Gorilla Grodd

Grodd of Gorilla City. A hidden city invisible to the rest of the world populated by super intelligent apes (well apes that seem a lot smarter than humans anyway). He's one of the Flashes greatest villains as far as I'm concerned. He developed his impressive "super ape" powers from exposure to a meteor that fell to Earth. However even before getting his super ape powers he's been trying to find a way to take over Gorilla city from it's ruler Solivar who had super intelligence and impressive psychic powers. The Flash has thwarted his attempts many times often if not exclusively with the help of others. He has also expanded his ambitions to taking over the world. He was once the mayor of Central City as part of one his world dominating plots. He remains to this day as far as I know still busy trying to take over the world.

He has super ape strength and agility as well as super ape durability. Although his full strength is never fully depicted he has been shown throwing a taxi cab through a third story window of a brownstone building and the cab kept going out through the top of the building without showing any signs of slowing. It is however known that he is nowhere near as strong as Wonder Woman or Superman but he has managed to hold his own in a fight with Kalibak who is said to be almost as strong as Superman although it is easily noticeable in the fight that he was clearly weaker than Kalibak.

The powers that Grodd seems to covet the most is his "Force of Mind" powers. Force of Mind powers seem to be essentially a combination of telepathy and telekinesis. He can not only read and send thoughts but he has proven able to take over the minds of every one in gorilla city. He can even use his powers to transfer his mind into another body. He has cheated death several time that way. He can also use his telepathic abilities to put illusions in people's minds that can for example cause them to relive painful moments from there past. If worst comes to worst he can always unleash a "psychic blast" on a target which aside from being very painful can knock a person out or even paralyze them. I'm assuming he can probably kill someone with it as well.

On the telekinetic side of the force of mind powers not only can he move immense amounts of matter by force of will alone he can alter it to suit his needs. Although to be honest I've only ever seen him use it to alter the bodies he possesses so they become a copy of his original body including his super ape physical powers. I don't know if he can use it to transmute matter like say turning lead into gold. It's mentioned that he can but I haven't found a reference to it anywhere so it may just have been a one shot occurrence that happens from time to time in comic books. However being able to reshape a human body into an ape body is pretty impressive. That would mean he can control matter on a molecular level and has the intelligence enough to know how to transform it in such a complex way. Conversely it could mean that he did it intuitively and didn't really know how to do it consciously. Unfortunately since I've never seen him do it to anyone else I can only assume that it's actually an intuitive ability.

It's said that he has enhanced senses but I can't find any references to what they might be. I've never read a story with him in it that shows him using them. On the other hand there is plenty of evidence to show he has at least a genius level intellect.

If I had Gorilla Grodd's powers and were criminally inclined I'd try and take over the world. I'd slowly use my mind powers to condition people into wanting me as their leader. I'd reinforce it with the occasional benevolent act as well as using my super human physical attributes to impress people. I would keep my mind control abilities a secret using them instead to make me seem charismatic and insightful.

After I've secured myself a strong legion of followers who I no longer needed to mind control then I'd start my bid to take over the world. I may not do it out in the open by becoming a politician. I may just get enough followers so that I influence law makers around the world so I can get whatever I want from the world at my discretion. When I think about it I may start my journey joining some kind of "secret society" and use my mind control on them to use the power structures they already have in place. It would make my job a hell of a lot easier. Mind you with mind control and body switching as an option I could really make use of all the "big players" to do what I want whenever I want without having to start my own organization. Hmmm. The possibilities. I would like I said initially do it slowly. The problem with Grodd as far as I understand it is that he always wants control "yesterday" not really giving himself a chance to truly entrench himself in the minds and hearts of people. He seems to prefer the show of force to the subtlety of manipulation. That's not to say that he hasn't been manipulative and patient before he just hasn't been patient enough to make sure he had a good base of power without needing to resort to mind control.

You know I may even adopt a super hero identity to create a cult of personality. With his immense strength and durability I could pretend to be a super strong man and "fight crime". With connections to a sufficiently influential secret society I could pull it off without much expected government interference. Heck I could "influence" mayors and police commissioners that a deputized super hero is to their advantage. *Insert evil laugh*

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment