Saturday, June 5, 2010

If I was Wonder Woman

For my first female super hero mention, I'm going with the supreme female ass kicker. Wonder Woman, Princess Diana of Paradise Island. The mightiest of Amazons.

Princess Diana is the daughter of Queen Hippolyta of the Amazons. Although she was made of clay that the gods made flesh she actually has the soul of Hyppolita's unborn daughter. Let me explain. In the current continuity of the DC Universe Queen Hyppolita is the reincarnation of the first woman murdered by a man. She was pregnant at the time of the murder so the baby was never born. In an act of kindness the god's allowed her unborn baby to be born to her. Since the Amazons have no males to procreate with and have no need to procreate since they are essentially immortal they instructed Hyppolita to sculpt a baby out of clay and they gave it life and flesh among a number of blessings that gives her her super powers.

In the current continuity Steve Trevor has nothing to do with her leaving Paradise Island to go into "Man's World" instead the God's decreed that the Amazon's send an emissary. So they held the famous tournament that Diana although forbidden to enter wins anyway. Once in Man's world she must deal with a plot to start a nuclear war by the god of war Ares. From then on she decides to stay in Man's world to help protect it.

The modern era's Wonder Woman draws her power from blessings given to her from six members of the Greek Pantheon of Gods: Demeter, Athena, Artemis, Hestia, Aphrodite and Hermes.

Demeter gives her super human strength, durability and healing. She's just about as strong as Superman and can go toe to toe with him in hand to hand combat. Although she can survive immersion in lava and the detonation of a nuclear bomb unharmed, for some reason she's susceptible to cutting and piercing weapons such as swords and arrows. Although I think that's to justify her needing her indestructible gauntlets (the modern day equivalent of her magic bracelets). She is also highly resistant to magic. She also has super human stamina permitting her to fight for extended periods of time no matter the opponent. Also if need be she can merge with the Earth and restore her body.

Hermes granted her super speed, reflexes and the power of flight. Her top speed is the speed of light and is said to be faster than Superman. As far as her reflexes are concerned well she can deflect machine gunfire from multiple sources at once. It takes a pretty good reaction time to place a small barrier the size of a forearm in front of something like a bullet accurately much less do multiple bullets coming from different directions and not mess up. But then she can travel at the speed of light so I assume her reflexes are enough to let her perceive and react to her environment in a timely fashion while traveling at that speed. She is also able to travel to other dimensions through meditation. I can only assume this is apart of the Gift of Hermes since he is the messenger of the gods and I assume they occasionally have business in other dimensions.

Hestia gave her "oneness with fire" which somehow makes her the focus of truth I thinks she channels this gift through her lasso possibly making it the source of it's mind affecting powers.

Aphrodite, well... Aphrodite's blessing makes her hot. She's good looking because that was Aphrodite's gift to her and apparently also makes her compassionate.

Athena's gift makes her wise and intelligent. She is at least as smart as Batman and as wise as the Martian Manhunter. That aside this gift makes her a remarkable strategist and according to Batman the greatest melee fighter in the world. It also makes her good at learning languages she is fluent in numerous languages. Aside from intellectual gifts Athena granted her the "Site of Athena" which gives her insight to people's emotions as well as making her virtually immune to most forms of mind control.

Artemis gift includes superhumanly enhanced senses and the ability to not only communicate with animals but also calm them if need be. It also includes the "Hunter's Eye" which "always allows her to hit the mark".

Aside from innate super powers she also has a number of pieces of equipment at her disposal:

Indestructible Gauntlets wich are forged from the remains of Zeus' Agis shield. So not only does it allow her to perform her classic deflection bit it also has a few more options than the original magic bracelets didn't. They can create a magical barrier in front of her when she crosses them permitting her to protect herself and people behind her from "area attacks" such as explosions. Apparently because they were made from Zeus' shield they are capable of discharging electricity.

The Lasso of Truth is an indestructible lasso that she can also control telepathically to a degree. The main power of the lasso is to compel anyone caught in it to tell the truth. However it is also capable of erasing memories, cure the mentally ill (in some cases) and to implant mental commands. Like I said earlier I think this is actually part of the gift of Hestia channeled by the lasso and possibly not inherent in the lasso itself.

The Invisible Jet. The current invisible jet isn't actually a jet but a shape changing alien disk that can transform into transparent versions of vehicles she requires including an "invisible jet". It responds to her thoughts and can assume any number of non-vehicle forms as well such as when she uses it to reinforce failing structures. It also functions as a communication device.

Her final bit of equipment is her boomerang tiara that also doubles as a hand to hand weapon that can even cut Superman.

Well that was very long. She has quite list of powers. In future blogs I think I'll find a way to shorten the power listing.

So what would I do if I had Wonder Woman's powers and paraphernalia? Before anything else I think I would use my "invisible jet" to be the coolest uncle on the planet and bring my niece and nephews for rides in it. After that I'd start exploring the world figuring out what I can do in it. When you wield that kind of power you become a player on the world stage whether you like it or not. Fortunately with the lasso of truth you can cut through a lot of the bull shit you will encounter. Also like it or not people who are afraid of you because they can't control you will some times force your hand. I'd spend my time doing a lot of humanitarian work. One just because it's my character and secondly better if the world loves you. It protects those you love from being attacked or at least makes it easy to find who did them harm.

Also I was out for a walk the other day and I saw two police cars responding to a call and I was tempted to follow them and see what was up. I could only imagine that should I have had powers like Wonder Woman's I would have followed them and see if there was something I could do to help. The question then becomes "would I wear a costume?" I probably would. I would think with that level of power I probably wouldn't care much for fashion. It's not like my environment would force my fashion choices. I could wear any style of clothes I wanted during any weather. I almost forgot that part of Wonder Woman's gifts is the beauty that Aphrodite provides so I would be actually handsome so I'd probably dress in ways that reveal my beefcakeness. So when I think about it I may make myself the face of altruism. I would probably use my Aphrodite given good looks to steer people to doing more good works. When I think about it. There is more to being Wonder Woman then just being hot and being able to kick ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment