Sunday, October 31, 2010

If I was Birdman

Background

Birdman's exact background is debatable. All that is known for sure is that Ray Randal (Birdman) was given superpowers to be the Egyptian god Ra's emissary on Earth. If nothing else that meant he had to fight for justice as a superhero. How he got his costume and when exactly he became a secret agent seems unspecified.

Description

Birdman has your typical superhero built and has large blueish feathered wings. He wears a golden bodysuit with black trunks, a blue cowl with black mask, a yellow helmet and collar with red and black wristbands, ankle bands and belt.

Powers

Birdman's most obvious power is derived from his wings. He can fly but he doesn't need to flap his wings to do so. They seem more to be a conduit for whatever force permits him to fly. He seems easily able to keep up and give chase to highly advanced flying vehicles and is agile enough to evade fire in arial combat.

Essentially his power is to absorb and use solar energy. Aside from powering his wings it also grants him "super might" which essentially means super strength and durability but can refer to an overall enhancement of his physical attributes. He's at least strong enough to bind a circus strongman in his own barbell and can throw a slagged metal cannon. He's stronger than Birdboy and Birdboy can easily break out of chains as long as he is charged with solar energy. As far as durability goes he can readily survive being hit by heavy weapons artillery but not without being momentarily stunned or knocked unconscious by it. Even if he is injured like most super beings with super strength he recovers quickly enough, in his case possibly due to exposure to sunlight healing him.

Aside from physical enhancement solar energy permits him to project solar rays from his hands that he can use as raw heat or as light capable of blinding a target. The rays are powerful enough to completely destroy metal cannons and other forms of advanced military weapons and vehicles. He can also create solar shields which are also centred around his hand. He can use them as a personal shield or make them at least big enough to protect half a dozen people. The shields are far better at resisting heavy weapon artillery than his body is. Since they offer superior protection they're usually his main form of protection. They are often either a transparent, glowing red or invisible until struck.

Birdman's weakness is that he requires solar energy to use his powers. Although he does actually store solar energy in his body he requires exposure to sunlight to recharge himself. If he's in a room or similar place cut off from sunlight he only has what energy he has stored in his body to power himself. Typically that means his powers quickly dwindled to normal human levels during combat. Conceivably he can preserve his power by functioning at a normal human level. All the instances where I've seen him trapped without sunlight were after taxing combat or if drained of his solar energy by a machine.

If I was Birdman

If nothing else I'd have to figure out my wardrobe. What do you wear when you have wings? Of course super strength usually comes with a sculpted physique so I probably wouldn't be bothered by going topless. Even if it didn't come with a sculpted physique it wouldn't be long before I'd be nice and sculpted anyway. I imagine being an emissary for a an ancient god keeps you busy.

A secret identity is out of the question since the wings can't be hidden for the long term. You can wear a mask but unless you withdraw completely from your original life, the enemies you eventually accumulate will know who your loved ones are and go after them.

I'd have to have a secret identity since I would be obliged as the emissary of Ra to fight for justice. I'd wear a face hiding helmet instead of a mask and cowl. Alternatively I could do like Birdman did and pass some of my power onto a sidekick. Preferably a woman so we can maintain a romantic liaison. That way if we don't maintain secret identities at least we can protect each other and we can help each other protect out other loved ones.

Okay I'm getting too hung up on the secret identity thing. Given that I'm solar powered I'd live in an aviary or at least a large solarium nestled in a mountain. I'd have to maximize my exposure to sunlight. I'd probably equip my aviary/solarium with ultraviolet lights in hopes that it would act as artificial sunlight and help keep me charged at night or whatever kind of light it is that they use to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder. Heck in my attempts to keep myself absorbing sunlight at night I'd probably come up with some new therapy for that disease.

In terms of how I'd administer justice I might offer my services to intelligence communities on a freelance basis. I'd probably establish some kind of ties with the United Nations. With limits of course. Politics are politics no matter the country involved and I wouldn't want my power misused.

When I think about it. What would be the definition of justice? Would I be compelled by Ra to destroy a fishing boat owned by a major corporation because it leaves no fish for food for the village who sold it it's fishing rights not realizing the consequences. Or would I be compelled to squash a rebellion if said village tried to drive off the boats so they can have food to eat because they entered into a contract and must now honor their end of it? Would I be compelled to take out the CEO of a company because their company's business practice led to the death of people. Heady stuff Justice is. It would be something I would have to play by ear.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment