Friday, October 15, 2010

If I was Mister Incredible

Background

Mister Incredible or Robert "Bob" Parr was foremost among supers of his generation. After a long hiatus due to a ban on Super activity due to an event where he accidentally hurts someone he returned to full time Super Heroing with his family.

Description

Bob is a tall, thickly muscled, blond man with receding hair and blue eyes. He wears a tight fitting red costume with a black mask, trunks gloves and boots. The symbol on his chest is a yellow lower case "i" on a black circular field with yellow trim.

Powers and Paraphernalia

Bob has super strength making him so strong that even being out of shape he had to make use of locomotives (125 to 240 tons on average) and rail cars (roughly 30 tons a piece) to provide enough weight to get himself back into shape. His strength also parlays into super leaping, super running and super swimming abilities.

Along with super strength he has super human resistance to harm permitting him to survive things like multi-story falls, collisions with trains, breaking through brick walls. Despite his great resistance to harm he can be cut by super hard metals propelled by a suitable force. Also although he is hard to hurt he does feel pain.

He also has super keen senses but the only one really displayed in the movie is his enhanced hearing permitting him to hear the faint beeping of a bomb through a thick wall.

His agility also borders on the super human.

His super suit is designed to survive the wear and tear of his super powers.

If I Was Mister Incredible

In this last week I've been doing a lot of intense manual labor and I've come to think of good uses for Mister Incredibles powers. Having fallen off of a roof on a previous occasion mixed with my fear of heights I know I'd feel a lot better off knowing I could fall from the roof that I'm on and not likely to be hurt no matter how high I fell from. Keep in mind I do residential work so I wouldn't be falling from higher than 50 feet. I wouldn't need a ladder half of the time. I could easily jump up on and down from the roof I'd be working on. That alone would save a lot of time.

There's a lot of tools I wouldn't need either. I could just use my thumb to drive nails in faster than a nail gun. I wouldn't need a wrench my super strong fingers could grip things normal fingers couldn't. I'd probably break a wrench anyway applying too much force to it. Also I salivate at thinking of lifting several packets of shingles in one shot and leaping up to a roof top with it instead of grabbing a bundle and forcing myself to drag it up to the roof I'm shingling. Keep in mind a bundle of shingles weighs 70lb. Sure I would be able to lift more but then I would fall through the roof if I carried more than 4 or 5 bundles at a time when I jumped on the roof. Plywood is only so strong.

I wouldn't limit myself to construction though. I'd start a company and offer a full range of services. Landscaping comes to mind. I could pull trees out the ground with my bare hands although I would be more careful than that and carry it over to it's new location. Pulling boulders out of the ground and crushing them into gravel is an easy way to make a driveway. I'd have to get specially made tools to survive the use of my strength but I'd love to landscape without using heavy machinery and still get done within a reasonable amount of time. My uncle would have to love to have me around when he dug out his basement a few years ago. I'm sure I'd know more people with in-ground swimming pools if I was as strong as Mister Incredible.

When the main thrust of your powers is super strength and durability you become a very useful person. When you're as strong as Mister Incredible you're very, very, very useful. Your neighbor's car is stuck in the snow or in a ditch, well you pull it out. A transport over turns you go and right it. A transport's brakes fail, you stop it. A friend needs help moving...well if you have super strength get used to that scenario. It's as bad as owning a pick up truck. If there's a bear going through the old widow down the road's trash you go over and pick up "Yogi" and carry him away.

I think if I was Mister Incredible I'd just be the local "Mr. Fixit". Every day somebody would come knocking at my door asking me for a favor. I wouldn't mind though. I like being useful to people.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment