Friday, October 8, 2010

If I was Green Fury

I'm going with the Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earth's version of the character. I'm assuming that most of you reading this know what the Crisis On Infinite Earths was but just to remind you it was a twelve issue comic book series from DC comics that was the source of the restructuring of the whole DC universe in the mid-eighties eliminating all of the various alternate "Earth's" that appeared through the decades of comic book stories. All of the Superheroes ended up on one Earth so a lot of characters histories had to be changed to accommodate it.

Background

Beatriz de Costa is the President of Brazil's branch of Wayne Industries who gains her magical flame powers through Brazilian mysticism. More specifically when she was born the "sky spirits" chose her to be the recipient of great magical power. The shaman who was an agent of these sky spirits taught her how to use her powers via telepathy when she was fifteen. In her first adventure she confronted a mind controlled Superman. Later she became a member of the Global Guardians a group of magically powered superheroes from around the world. During the first adventure of the team they helped Superman thwart the resurrection of a powerful and ancient wizard who she was instrumental in destroying.

Appearance

Beatriz is an extremely attractive Brazilian woman with long dark hair and "smoldering" dark eyes. When assuming her Green Fury persona her hair and eyes become green. Mind you her eyes glow green whenever she uses her "dazzling sparks". Her costumes are usually a variety of shades of green.

Powers

Primarily her power is magical fire breadth. She can exhale a magical green fire that can either burn or freeze a target. I don't know the maximum temperature of her breadth is but it is described as white hot which from what I can find means up to 6,300 degrees Fahrenheit which can melt apparently any metal. At it's coldest it reaches absolute zero which is -273.15 degrees Fahrenheit the temperature at which essentially all molecular motion stops meaning everything freezes at that temperature. So if the cold aspect of it is so impressive then the heat level has to be pretty impressive too. She expected her maximum heat to drive away Superman so it has to be hot.

Two odd features of the flame is that one she can control it enough to cause it to coil around her and cause her to assume her heroic appearance and costume and secondly it can be directed toward the ground and propel her in flight. How fast I don't know. Also in case you're thinking, "Damn that sounds awkward" well let me tell you how she does this. She exhales the flame through her nostrils to fly. Yep... "Snot Rocketry" or the less vulgar "Nasal Rocketry". Since this is her main mode of transportation I assume it's at least as practical as jumping into a car and heading off to her chosen destination. She claimed capable of being able to fly from her office in Brasilia to a forgotten pyramid "deep in the jungle" but Superman insisted on carrying her "because they had no time to waste". I assume that when she is using her flame powers that she has super human respiratory powers permitting her to expel breadth for long periods of time as well as a super strong head (especially nose) and neck since they have to support her body while flying. I'm also going to assume that she is protected from the effects of her powers like not burning or freezing her lips off while expelling fire or even burning herself in general while she's flying.

"Her green flame had the magical ability to heal and repair her costume after a battle" although I couldn't find any depictions of these powers. I take this sentence to mean that she can heal herself with the flame since it is said in a way to imply that she can "fix" herself as well as her costume. Also I take it that way since the flame is capable altering her and her clothes if only to alther the color of her hair and eyes and her clothes into her various costumes.

Her other fire related power is her "Dazzling Sparks" that she projects from her "smoldering" eyes that permit her to create virtually any illusion she chooses. She commonly uses it to disguise the fact that she's transforming into her superhero identity when she is out in the open. Another tactic is for her to use it to make people see Beatriz and Green Fury in the same place at the same time so they don't suspect that she is Green Fury.

If I was Green Fury

If I do nothing else I'd use the flame breadth to blow fire out of my nose to express my anger or my disdain. After that grows old I'd become a fire fighter. I'd put out fires using cold fire and I'd use my nasal rocketry to fly to people who need a rescue from upper floors of buildings or who are trapped in trees or whatever other high purchases they may find themselves stranded on. The healing properties of the flame would permit me to fix myself up after a hard day's work fighting fires.

It would start something like this, "Oh My God! There's a fire!!" I'd use my fire breadth to rocket myself upwards so I can find where the fire is then I'd go over there. Depending on how huge the fire was I would just let go with cold fire and start extinguishing the fire as best as I can. If it was really huge I would look for people who need to be rescued first and then go and rescue them clearing the way with the cold flame. If possible I would use the "hot fire" to burn possible combustibles to prevent the fire from spreading further by cutting off it's fuel supply. Then I would do what I can to get people to safety. After getting some experience under my belt I would approach a fire chief and show him or her what I could do and see if I can become a fire fighter.

Then there's the "Dazzling Sparks". As a visual artist and a story teller. I believe I would have a lot of fun with that. Imagine me telling some children a story about Santa Claus as little hologram of Santa Claus and the other characters act it out in an equally holographic setting. Alternatively if someone was trying to describe to me how they wanted to decorate a room I could make an illusory overlay of the room to help me the person I'm talking with better visualize what they're planning.

You know when I think of it I could really expand on the whole Santa Claus thing. First use the Dazzling Sparks to make myself look like Santa Claus. Enter the room bearing gifts. Make sure a head of time that there is a fire place and that it's unlit and tell the children that I can't give out the gifts until we have a nice fire to open them by and blow into the fire place and ignite the logs. After the gifts are opened I would tell the kids good bye and walk outside, wave good bye and use the sparks to make it look like I left ridding in a sleigh pulled by reindeer.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment